Fuel your family
With Fresh, In-season organic food
Sustainable & Ethical Practices
The Gathered Green is founded on sustainable and ethical practices
These practices apply to farming, food distribution, community contribution and waste management. We therefore implement the following:
1. All produce sold through The Gathered Green is certified organic or biodynamic according to Australian Standards and Accreditation. Therefore, food grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fertilisers and genetically modified organisms (GMO’s), promotes the health of the soil, the produce and the people, for current and future generations.
2. The Gathered Green prioritises local produce sourced direct from the farmer, which supports local farmers and communities. All produce used by The Gathered Green is grown and sold in Australia, which supports Australian farmers and the Australian economy, while also ensuring only Australian organic accreditation standards are used.
3. The Gathered Green endeavours to minimise waste and support the local community by donating surplus produce to Cornerstone Community Kitchen. Cornerstone Community Kitchen is a volunteer run initiative which relies on donated produce to cook beautiful meals for families and individuals less fortunate within the Young Community.
4. The Gathered Green minimises packaging and waste by re-using empty Organic Seasonal Boxes for as long as possible. Plastic crates, wax cardboard and polystyrene boxes used to freight produce, are returned to growers/wholesalers and reused. Any cardboard boxes which cannot be reused are discarded through the appropriate recycling waste management systems. Gel icepacks are also reused for as long as possible to minimise waste and promote sustainability.
5. Any food scraps collected following the packing of Organic Seasonal Boxes are donated to local organic pig and chook farmers who feed these organic scraps to their animals.
6. The Gathered Green only includes whole fruits/vegetables in the boxes to avoid the need to wrap cut produce in plastic wrap. This not only supports human health by minimising food exposure to plastic, but also supports sustainability by reducing unnecessary plastic use.
Links to other Local Sustainable and Ethical Businesses
- Stoneridge71. Richard and Bernie Page run chemical free lamb on their property at Monteagle and sell beautiful lamb boxes to order. www.stoneridge71.com.au
- Gregory Downs. Clinton and Pip Smith run their certified organic beef property at Monteagle and sell boxes of amazing certified organic beef to order. Ph: 0439 360 092
- Box Gum Grazing. Sam and Claire Johnston’s property is located near Murringo, where they sell 100% grass fed beef and genuine free range pastured pork. www.boxgumgrazing.com.au
- Majors Mulch. Sarah Curry is based near Quandialla and has developed a wonderful array of garden mulch and pellets made from pure organic matter off her property. www.majorsmulch.com.au
- Goodness For Life. Skye Shannon lives near Gundagai and has developed this fantastic Facebook page which provides inspiration for wholesome food, recipes and lifestyle tips. www.facebook.com/goodnessforlife